Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-03-24 SG16 telecon

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:45:10 -0400
On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:22 AM Tom Honermann via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 3/17/21 5:23 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:59 PM Tom Honermann via SG16 <
> sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> - P1628 <https://wg21.link/p1628>: Unicode character properties
>>
>> As the author I do not expect to do further work on this in the 23 cycle
>
> That matches my expectations, thanks for confirming.

Not that we have a paper, or that I'm asking for anyone to do work, but
without access to the UCD, all the other algorithms are off the table. In
theory it's an implementation detail, in practice it would be an ABI break
to change the APIs for property lookup, and having two or more mechanisms
in a std library implementation seems like a bad idea.
Expectation setting is important. It's not clear to everyone how the
Unicode layers work, even if the explanations are straight-forward.