Re: [SG16] Towards a better description of the execution encoding

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 17:16:47 -0500
On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM Steve Downey via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Could we perhaps make use of the encoding used by the "C" locale to talk
> about how the "encoding of the execution character set" is meant to be
> interpreted? http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.ccon#2
> Execution encoding isn't currently used in the standard as that exact
> phrase, although lex.ccon does come close, as does
> http://eel.is/c++draft/tab:lex.string.literal

The sentence above is using "encoding of the execution character set" for
its position in the status quo of the working draft, right? That is, we
should read it as saying that the "literal encoding" can be taken as the
locale-specific encoding used in the C locale. In practice, that's not true
(e.g., literals encoded as UTF-8 on systems with a C locale using
US-ASCII). What is probably true is that the encoding difference is not
observable if only characters from the basic execution character set are
used. I think it is safe to say that there are seriously many
scripts/programs that (ab)use text processing facilities via the property
that "C" locales basically treat bytes as characters.