Re: [SG16] [isocpp-lib-ext] Review of P2093R2: Formatted output

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 20:15:07 +0100
On 23/11/2020 06.33, Tom Honermann via Lib-Ext wrote:
> SG16 began reviewing P2093R2 <https://wg21.link/p2093r2> in our recent telecon <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#november-11th-2020> and will continue review in our next telecon scheduled for December 9th.
>
> The following reflects my personal thoughts on this proposal.

Ditto.

As I've already said in the SG16 review, I'd like to see
smaller bits and pieces offered, instead of or at least in
addition to hiding them behind a non-trivial "printf"-style
wrapper.

 - Doing std::format without necessarily creating a std::string
is useful functionality, but unrelated to the transcoding issues.
Thus, this facility should be separate.

 - Apparently, there is some OS-dependent magic going on to
determine whether output is to a console and, if so, which
encoding the console might prefer. I'm fine with such magic
existing, but it should be a distinct facility.

 - And then there is the facility of converting the C++ literal
encoding to the console encoding, if necessary. Again, this
should be a separate facility, preferably offering a generic
transcoding facility that can be specialized for the console-only
use case. (Only supporting that single transcoding might save
binary size.)

Jens