[SG16] SG16 meeting summary for November 11th, 2020

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:26:44 -0500
The summary for the SG16 meeting held November 11th, 2020 is now
available. For those that attended, please review and suggest corrections:

  * https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#november-11th-2020

No decisions were made at this meeting.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 9th, from
19:30-21:00 UTC (timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20201209T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pst&p3=tz_mst&p4=tz_cst&p5=tz_est&p6=tz_cet>).
The draft agenda is:

  * P2093R2: Formatted output <https://wg21.link/p2093r2>
      o Continue discussion.

Discussion of P2093R3 at the last telecon focused on newline handling,
use of C streams vs C++ streams, support for a default stream, and
localization. It was not clear to me that there is consensus within
SG16 on any of these topics yet, so we will continue discussion of
them. Additional topics to focus on include transcoding features,
terminal/console vs redirected stream awareness (particularly for
encoding concerns), determination of the run-time encoding, interaction
with other uses of C and C++ streams, and whether `std::print` is a
text-only interface (whether it can be used to dump raw bytes). For
continued discussion of newline concerns, consider what
`std::println("text\ntext")` should do (whether the explicit and
implicit newlines are handled consistently).

No decisions are anticipated at this meeting, but direction polls may be
taken.

For any new attendees: The meetings are video conferences conducted via
Zoom. If you are planning to attend, please test your system by
visiting https://zoom.us/test before the scheduled meeting time.

Tom.