Re: [SG16] Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow, Wednesday, 2020-09-09

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 23:12:32 -0400
On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 1:57 PM Peter Brett via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>

> Having reviewed the paper, I’m struggling to understand how most of those
> concerns are pertinent to discussing P2178R1 proposal 1.

This is possibly about being clear in terms of proactively dealing with
assumptions that non-committee members may have when they hear the "UTF-8"
source is "completely okay" for C++. Tom's questions would point out all
sorts of caveats. For example, the compiler might say that UTF-8 source is
supported with a flag that causes all file processing for that invocation
to need UTF-8 source. This is going to cause problems for header inclusion.

There's a motivation in terms of user benefit for requiring support to
consume UTF-8 encoded source. These questions are pertinent to ensuring
that the benefits are actually realized.