Re: [SG16] On the character encoding of diagnostic text

From: Martinho Fernandes <rmf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 19:15:41 +0200
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:05 PM Aaron Ballman via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 12:08 PM Alisdair Meredith via SG16
> <sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > For a cross compiler, the basic execution character set should
> correspond to the target platform, but the diagnostics character set should
> be for the host?
>
> That matches my understanding.
>
> I suppose a question I could add is whether anyone would like to see a
> new character set introduced for diagnostics. My intuition is that it
> would be a pretty heavy hammer to bring to bear and that the basic
> source character set is probably Good Enough (tm).

Wouldn't these diagnostics be the place people are more likely to use
non-basic source characters, though? When it comes to identifiers people
will sometimes compromise and restrict themselves and e.g. avoid
diacritics, but in error messages I feel like it makes a lot more sense to
want to write with the full expression of their native script.