Re: [SG16] On the character encoding of diagnostic text

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 11:00:57 -0400
I'm not sure about C, but for C++ the grammar for static_assert is
static_assert-declaration:
static_­assert ( constant-expression ) ;
static_­assert ( constant-expression , string-literal ) ;
So the value for the string is going to be encoded in the target
environment, rather than the source. While all characters from the
basic source character set and the execution character set are going
to be available, the values for those characters may not actually be
suitable for emitting. No idea what compilers do today. String-literal
also allows for encoding prefix, so the associated encoding might be
Unicode. Or even a wide string.
Do we need to have an 'original spelling' rule for static_assert?