Re: [SG16] Concatenating unicode string literals

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 22:12:57 +0200
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 21:44 Tom Honermann via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 7/9/20 3:16 PM, Jens Maurer wrote:
> >> I'm fine with that as well.
> >>
> >> Jens, would you consider such a change as evolutionary given that we
> don't know of any implementations (so far) that actually support these
> concatenations?
> > I'm not the one to make the call here.
> I know, I was just looking for an opinion from a CWG regular. Thank you.
> > Strictly speaking, it changes the standard for some feature from
> > "conditionally-supported" to "ill-formed", which does sound a bit
> > evolutionary, in particular since we depart a little further from
> > C here.
> >
> > However, personally, I'm ok with this going to Core right away.
> >
> > JF should make the call here.
>
> Agreed.
>
> We don't have a paper for this yet. If we have a volunteer to write a
> paper to make concatenations involving mixed L"", u8"", u"", and U""
> concatenations ill-formed, I'll be happy to discuss with JF with
> encouragement to take it straight to Core.

There is one and as Jens said we can't do the wording for that right now.
The wording paper should also make sure that the order of operations is
correct.

( Replacement of escape sequences, concatenation, encoding)

I am willing to put that on my list.