Re: [SG16] Concatenating unicode string literals

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 14:45:27 +0200
On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 13:56, Alisdair Meredith <alisdairm_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Well, u8”” L”” is portably ill-formed, and should be diagnosed :)
>
> The corner cases that are conditionally supported with an
> implementation defined value are:
>
> u8”” u”"
> u8”” U””
> u”” u8””
> u”” U””
> u"” L””
> U”” u8””
> U”” u””
> U”” L””
> L”” u””
> L”” U”"

Let's entertain that this should, for some reason, not be ill-formed.
What should it do?
Can you find a set of rules that people will not trip over?
Is it like rock paper scissors but with u8, u and U instead?

I understand that we can make _anything_ well-formed or
conditionally supported.
We should ask ourselves why?
Is there a reason to allow that, which surpasses the cost of the added
complexity?
We can ( and I believe we should) make that ill-formed.
(Implementations sensibly do not support these things anyway)