Subject: Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow (Wednesday, 2020-07-08)
From: Tom Honermann (tom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-07-07 10:54:48

This is your friendly reminder that an SG16 telecon will be held
tomorrow, Wednesday July 8th, at 19:30 UTC (timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20200708T193000&p1=1440>).
To attend, visit https://bluejeans.com/140274541 at the start of the
meeting.

*Please review the definitions for the terms listed below in **ISO/IEC
10646:2017****(link to 108 MB .zip file)
<https://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c069119_ISO_IEC_10646_2017.zip>**prior
to the meeting and think about how we might apply these terms to the C++
standard.* For example:
- "character" is often an ambiguous term, but it may be appropriate to
describe the members of the basic source character set or the entity
denoted by a simple escape sequence.
- Are members of the execution character set "coded characters"?
- "repertoire" may be appropriate for the basic source character set,
but may not be appropriate for the execution character set.
- When might we use "encoding form" vs "encoding scheme"?  Do we need both?
- Do we need to define our own "character encoding" term (potentially
for non-Unicode encodings)?

The agenda for the meeting is:
- Continue discussion of terminology updates to strive for in C++23
 Â  - Determine suitability of ISO/IEC 10646 terms for use in the C++
standard.
 Â Â Â  - Character
 Â Â Â  - Repertoire
 Â Â Â  - Code point
 Â Â Â  - Coded character
 Â Â Â  - Coded character set
 Â Â Â  - Code unit
 Â Â Â  - Code unit sequence
 Â Â Â  - Encoding form
 Â Â Â  - Encoding scheme
 Â Â Â  - UCS codespace
 Â Â Â  - UCS scalar value
 Â Â Â  - Well-formed code unit sequence
 Â Â Â  - Minimal well-formed code unit sequence
 Â Â Â  - Ill-formed code unit sequence
 Â Â Â  - Ill-formed code unit sequence subset
 Â  - Identify possible terms to add to [intro.defs].

No decisions are expected to be made at this meeting.

Tom.