Re: [SG16] Wide characters with multiple c-chars

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 20:51:06 +0300
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 19:48, Tom Honermann via SG16
<sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 7/2/20 12:10 PM, Peter Brett via SG16 wrote:
>
> Is there scope for a non-normative note with a recommendation that implementations do not implement the feature?
>
> No, ISO rules prohibit normative encouragement in notes (as I've been recently informed by Jens).

Well:
1) Notes can't do anything normative
2) Non-normative encouragement is not a thing, as far as I understand
it; notes are not supposed to encourage,
they are supposed to explain normative text.
3) So you can normatively encourage, i.e. not in a note
4) Or you can say something non-normative which doesn't read like
encouragement in a note, for example
mention a concrete possibility. Which is probably not suitable for
giving a stronger hint. Unless we think that
mentioning one possibility but not others is a suitably strong hint.

Ain't standardese fun?