Re: [SG16] [isocpp-core] New draft revision: D2029R2 (Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and universal character escapes in character and string literals)

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 14:06:43 +0200
On 01/07/2020 10.23, Corentin wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 10:14, Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden] <mailto:Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On 01/07/2020 09.44, Corentin wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 09:29, Jens Maurer via Core <core_at_[hidden] <mailto:core_at_[hidden]> <mailto:core_at_[hidden] <mailto:core_at_[hidden]>>> wrote:
>
> > We should be clear in the text whether an implementation is allowed to encode
> > a sequence of non-numeric-escape-sequence s-chars as a whole, or whether
> > each character is encoded separately. There was concern that "separately"
> > doesn't address stateful encodings, where the encoding of string character
> > i+1 may depend on what string character i was.
> >

> > We should be careful not to change the behavior here.
> > Encoding sequences allow an implementation to encode <latin small letter e, combining accute accent> as <latin small letter e with acute>
>
> Agreed. We should probably prohibit doing that for UTF-x literals,
> but I'm not seeing a behavior change for ordinary and wide string
> literals.
>
> > Which is not the current behavior described by the standard.
>
> Could you point me to the specific place where the standard
> doesn't allow that, currently?
>
> [lex.string] p10
> "it is initialized with the given characters."
>
> for example doesn't speak to the question, in my view.
>

> My reading of the description of the size of the string http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.string#1

A strict reading of [lex.string] p13 doesn't convey that, though:

"The size of a narrow string literal is the total number of
escape sequences and other characters, plus at least one for
the multibyte encoding of each universal-character-name,
plus one for the terminating '\0'."

Let's start with our example string:
"latin small letter e, combining accute accent"

"combining acute accent" is not in the basic source character set, so it's
represented as a universal-character-name.
According to the formula, we have 1 for "e", at least 1 for universal-character-name,
1 for the terminating '\0' -> at least 3.
Encoding this as "<latin small letter e with acute>" yields
2 bytes of UTF-8 encoding plus 1 for the terminating '\0' -> 3
So, the requirement "at least 3" is satisfied.

Jens