[SG16] SG16 related comments from the recent Standard C++ Foundation survey

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 15:18:29 -0400
The Standard C++ Foundation recently conducted a survey
<https://isocpp.org/blog/2020/04/results-summary-2020-global-developer-survey-lite>
of the C++ community and asked the following question:

> "If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing about any part of
> C++ or C++ standardization, what would it be, and how would that
> change help your daily work?"
Of the 632 responses, the following 6 are relevant to SG16:

"Make unicode cross-platform with a good UTF-8 implementation via the
standard. Shouldn't be limited (or constrained!!! ) by leaning too much
on std::string. It's 2020. Instead of adding major features by the
dozen, i want the small stuff fixed. I know i can write my own, but it's
not acceptable that we don't have a standard function to correctly round
a double to x decimal places, for example. Lots of convenient (and
expected) string functions missing etc. Why do beginners have to put up
with stuff like that ?"

"More standard libraries, e.g. Unicode, XML, JSON. It would make
learning these easier and writing multiplatform code easier"

"UTF-8 support with char8_t would be most helpful -- but we just need to
adopt what's alreadybeen standardized, so it probably shouldn't count. ..."

"Standardized Unicode Handling: Basic: utf-8 with all the necessary
supporting functions. I do not understand, why the standard commitee
only works on "enhanced" features like concepts, modules, ... but
totally forget about what is necessary on a basis. :-("

"Unicode"

"Standard features I wish for: * Unicode (transliteration, tokenization,
normalization, ...) *Memory mapping (mmap) * JIT * Runtime
Reflection/Introspection Most of these features are available in Java.
Unfortunately, my project is slowly migrating our C++ codebase to Java."

Tom.