Re: [SG16] Comment on P1885R0: Naming Text Encodings to Demystify Them

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 18:43:17 -0500
Execution character set isn't the right term. It's a basic execution
character set is super set of the source character set, including a few
control characters. The values of the characters, which is what we are
interested in, is not the same, and are locale-specific. Saying locale,
however is too general. We need to distinguish the fixed translation of
literals from whatever the current locale specified encoding, including the
default "C" locale.
The footnote 9) in [lex.charset] also mentions that the intent is to
identify characters from the ascii subset in ISO 10646, but it's also clear
that we're not specifying that the execution character set is unicode,
although given the rules regarding universal character names, the internal
encoding pretty much has to be a unicode transformation form.
The standard language around encodings really needs an update. I've got a
paper working towards that.