Re: [SG16] Fwd: New Unicode Working Group: Message Formatting

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:34:09 +0100
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 01:20, Mihai Nita <mihnita_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Thank you for the update, nice to see some progress there.
>
> About cldr and measurement units, there is a fresh effort in progress:
> https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-13487
>
> There is already code landing there:
> https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/pull/291
>
> ===
>
> Just for fun, here is a rant I wrote (only) 14 years ago on the subject:
> https://mihai-nita.net/2006/04/15/string-api-and-internationalization/
>
> Took a little bit :-)

The road ahead is long.
I just wrote this paper which is basically "everything wrong with
std::locale" https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P2020R0.pdf -
SG-16 wants to fix all of that but it won't be done overnight and we have
crazy backward compatibility constraints.
Unfortunately, I think none of us are languages or cultures experts so more
collaboration with Unicode to help understanding the set of use cases and
locale specific behavior is more than welcomed :D