Subject: Re: Bike shedding for Christmas: P1885 Naming Text Encodings
From: JeanHeyd Meneide (phdofthehouse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-30 09:25:58

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 9:15 AM Thiago Macieira via SG16
<sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Monday, 30 December 2019 01:34:35 -03 Tom Honermann wrote:
> > That makes sense to me. When designing the version of text_view
> > described in P0244 (https://wg21.link/p0244), I found no use for codecs
> > in concepts or in interfaces; I specified them in terms of encoders and
> > decoders. I still delivered encoder and decoder pairs as a codec that
> > satisfied both encoder and decoder concepts. This seemed to work well,
> > though I haven't received any specific feedback one way or another.
>
> Hm... indeed, knowing how to get a matching pair might be useful. You don't
> want to guess that you've got it right if you're doing forwards and backwards
> conversions.
>
> For those interested, this is the review link for the API we're discussing:
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/285094

I am also writing concepts and interfaces based on the ability to
encode and decode, but they always come bundled as a single object.
(You can turn off one half but simply not implementing either half
inside that object.) Seems to work out alright.

SG16 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com