Re: [SG16] Bike shedding for Christmas: P1885 Naming Text Encodings

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 23:34:35 -0500
On 12/29/19 7:50 AM, Thiago Macieira via SG16 wrote:
> On Friday, 27 December 2019 08:28:16 -03 Corentin Jabot via SG16 wrote:
>> * text_codec (Qt)
> Codec is aclass to COde and DECode that particular charset.
>
> For Qt 6, we're deprecating the front-end use of QTextCodec, as the API has
> limitations and requires the use of a non-owning raw pointer. Instead, we're
> promoting the use of QTextEncoder and QTextDecoder.

That makes sense to me. When designing the version of text_view
described in P0244 (https://wg21.link/p0244), I found no use for codecs
in concepts or in interfaces; I specified them in terms of encoders and
decoders. I still delivered encoder and decoder pairs as a codec that
satisfied both encoder and decoder concepts. This seemed to work well,
though I haven't received any specific feedback one way or another.

Tom.