Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-lib] New issue: Are std::format field widths code units, code points, or something else?

From: Victor Zverovich <victor.zverovich_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 17:53:06 -0700
> Is it really too much to ask that it be decoded according to the
locale-specified encoding?

Locale-independence by default is a good property to have. In particular,
it guarantees that std::formatted_size will return the size that is
sufficient for a buffer passed in a subsequent call to std::format_to
regardless of any locale shenanigan that happen in between (possibly in
another thread).

However, one might argue that by explicitly specifying the width a user
opted into encoding-aware behavior for strings (whether determined by
locale or not), so maybe it's not as big of a problem as I initially
thought. There is still a question of how to express the concept of
perceived width in standardese wording. Thiago, do you have any suggestions?

- Victor