Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-lib] New issue: Are std::format field widths code units, code points, or something else?

From: Victor Zverovich <victor.zverovich_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:41:15 -0700
> The current system of printf extensions has been driven by user demand.

Yes and AFAICS that model failed spectacularly. For example, the POSIX
extension for positional arguments can't be used portably. This was one of
the issues addressed by the fmt library.

Removing width or making its semantics implementation-defined would be a
huge regression compared to both printf and iostreams. I'd strongly advise
against it.

With Tom's proposed resolution we can have a reasonable, efficient, and
deterministic behavior now and a good path towards addressing more
complicated cases both in Unicode overloads and char/wchar_t overloads
later.

- Victor