Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-lib] New issue: Are std::format field widths code units, code points, or something else?

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 16:55:46 -0700
On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 08:18:50 PDT Steve Downey wrote:
> Even with monospace fonts you can't just rely on number of characters once
> you are beyond ASCII. Han characters are often double wide.

AND it depends on the renderer. If the producer and the renderer are different
applications, like a text application and a graphical terminal, you don't know
whether the renderer will count the same number of cell grids as you expected.

However, I think it's reasonable to assume that the renderer will understand
the producer's output, assuming of course assigned code points. Applications
outputting unassigned should expect GIGO.