Re: [SG16-Unicode] Abstract and notes for D1859R0: Standard terminology for execution character set encodings

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 12:02:48 -0400
Character repertoire sounds good, and I will eventually learn to spell it.
Character set is definitely terminology from the pre-unicode times, and
unfortunately tends to merge the repertoire and encoding,
https://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml

Basic source character set is defined in [lex.charset]
http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.charset#def:character_set,basic_source

I'd like to get away from "execution encoding" because it conflates the
presumed encoding and the one selected by the current locale. Now,
admittedly, everyone conflates these and it's a source of error and
mojibake, but perhaps with better words it would be easier to teach.

As to UB. I'd like, if possible, to avoid creating new UB classes. Some
things should probably be ill-formed, like unencodable characters. Others
fall into existing UB, like specifying an inline string literal with two
different encodings. Reading a string with the wrong encoding, I think,
should be at worst unspecified, unless for some reason your decoder has UB,
in which case it's the decoders problem, not the incorrect or mixed
encoding isssue. That said, I'd defer to Core on this.

Internal encoding is required to preserve distinct universal character
names and treat all representations of the same universal character the
same. So, the standard effectively requires unicode, but in terms of
observables.