Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-lib] New issue: Are std::format field widths code units, code points, or something else?

From: Victor Zverovich <victor.zverovich_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 20:39:05 -0700
> if code units aren't used, then behavior should be different for LANG=C
vs LANG=C.UTF-8.

In that case I agree with your proposed resolution of using code units
because all of std::format is locale-independent by default by design and
it would be very unfortunate to break this property and make the output
depend on the global locale (or the passed locale for some overloads).

In the future Unicode overloads we'll (hopefully) be able to do better and
use grapheme clusters or at least code points because the encoding is
static. Also we could introduce a separate format specifier for
locale-specific formatting of string arguments similarly to the ones we
already have for numbers and only query the locale if explicitly requested
by the user.

- Victor