Re: [SG16-Unicode] P1689: Encoding of filenames for interchange

From: Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:07:33 +0100
> So let's go with UTF8, and tell tools not to spit out files that can't
> be found via UTF8. How many of the tools we currently use already have
> those limitations?

Build tooling does not control what directory it gets run from.

The OP's paper requires relative paths always, so one could insist on
perfect UTF8 convertibility there. But do remember that UTF8
convertibility to and from the native filesystem encoding, where the
native filesystem encoding varies between programs and programs runs,
cannot be reliably determined in advance.

Niall