Re: [SG16-Unicode] P1689: Encoding of filenames for interchange

From: Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 11:51:41 +0100
Firstly, NUL is a valid filesystem path codepoint on some platforms, and
I'd like to get the standard fixed on that incorrectness in the near
future. I think that we can reasonably declare the native path separator
codepoint the only invalid filesystem path codepoint, as otherwise
filesystem::path doesn't work.

Secondly, as I've often told you Thiago, the native Windows filesystem
API is also byte based. struct UNICODE takes a *byte* length, not a
wchar_t length. I'll agree that the Win32 path translation layer
complicates that, but underneath it's all byte based, and I would like
to hope that whatever modern i/o proposal WG21 chooses will expose
reality on Windows.

To solve the OP's problem, why doesn't P1689 simply store BOTH the
UTF8-attempt and native filesystem encoding raw bytes edition of pathnames?

The UTF8-attempt edition is where one takes the raw bytes in the native
filesystem encoding, and converts it to UTF-8. Note that even on POSIX,
filesystem paths are not necessarily in valid UTF-8, and ought to be
treated as raw bytes if you want to be able to reopen the original file
after encoding into JSON.

If the raw bytes edition of pathnames in the JSON file is present, it is
used first during lookup. If lookup with the raw byte edition fails, or
if it is not present in the JSON file, the UTF-8 edition is converted to
the native filesystem encoding, and that is used.

This seems to me a reasonable balance of competing factors, and solves
P1689's problem, whilst also keeping the JSON file both human readable
and easily printable by tooling. It also makes a reasonable attempt at
handling the native filesystem encoding changing between uses of the
JSON file, which is a legal possibility.

Niall