Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] Replacement for codecvt
From: Corentin Jabot (corentinjabot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-09-02 05:15:35

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 12:07, Lyberta <lyberta_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Corentin Jabot:
> > The real problem is system apis (both posix and win32 and all existing C
> > code) - null termination in C++ exist for compatibility with that and it
> > seems unlikely that we would manage to convince win32 or posix people
> > to add (pointer size) functions everywhere - it's a lot of functions
>
> I think this is the only way forward.
>
> Take char8_t* + size_t or make a struct with those fields, that's the
> only sane way for C.

While I agree, it's an awful lot of people to convince. null termination
was never a good idea.
The best time to fix that was in the 80s - arguably the second best time if
now, but we wouldn't be able not to have null terminated strings for a few
more decades in c++.
Which means we probably wouldn't find any one willing to fix it...