Re: [SG16-Unicode] Replacement for codecvt

From: Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 13:51:23 +0100
On 29/08/2019 13:25, Tom Honermann wrote:
> Hi, Niall. See JeanHeyd’s http://wg21.link/p1629. This is the direction
> SG16 is currently heading for encoding conversion functions.

Yes, this API looks *much* better. Thanks for the reminder.

> JeanHeyd has an implementation available and it would be great to get
> feedback on how well it works for you!

Best I can find is
https://github.com/ThePhD/phd/tree/master/include/phd/text

I'm happy to trial a third party library and test out the proposed API,
but I would have requirements due to the existing user base of LLFIO:

1. C++ 14

2. Works correctly on Windows and VS2019.

3. Anywhere where you might throw an exception, you need to use a
deterministic alternative like error_code, Outcome, etc.

4. Self contained single purpose repo suitable for git submoduling OR
single include file.

5. cmake build system suitable for reuse from a cmake superproject (i.e.
targets only modern cmake, exports the targets consumed by the superproject)

6. Any public headers should not include anything "heavy" like Ranges,
Variant etc as some of my user base like to include LLFIO headers in
global headers. String is acceptable, as LLFIO includes <filesystem>.

Niall