Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?
From: Tom Honermann (tom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-08-14 21:51:37

On 8/14/19 1:58 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> This means that using MSVC with the /utf-8 option is the only sane
> alternative, but it's not the default.

I've been arguing that the /utf-8 option is almost never the right
option to use since this sets both the source and execution character
encodings and Microsoft does not yet support UTF-8 as the
(run-time/system/native) execution encoding.  I recommend use of
/source-charset:utf-8 instead (and perhaps /execution-charset:ascii to
ensure that encoded literals have the same meaning across all supported
(run-time/system/native) execution encodings).  Use of either
/source-charset or /execution-charset will implicitly enable
/validate-charset which will cause the compiler to issue a warning if a
character cannot be encoded in the (presumed) execution encoding.

Tom.