Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] Source file encoding

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 09:37:35 -0400
On 8/14/19 5:00 AM, Corentin wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 4:17 AM Tom Honermann via Core
> <core_at_[hidden] <mailto:core_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Niall, this is again off topic for this thread. But now that you put
> this out there, I feel obligated to respond. But please start a new
> thread with a different set of mailing lists if you wish to continue
> this any further; this is not a CWG issue.

> either (i) 7
> thus be
> >> We could specify the source file directly as a sequence of ISO
> 10646 abstract characters, or even as a sequence of UTF-8 code
> units, but the implementation could choose to interpret the disk
> file to contain KOI-7 N1 with some sort of escape sequences for
> other characters. You might say "That's not UTF-8 on disk!", to
> which the implementation replies "That's how my operating system
> natively stores UTF-8." and the standard replies "What's a disk?".
> > I think that's an unproductive way of looking at the situation.
> >
> > I'd prefer to look at it this way:
> >

> > 1. How much existing code gets broken if when recompiled as C++
> 23, the
> > default is now to assume UTF-8 input unless input is obviously
> not that?
> *All* code built on non-ASCII platforms, some amount of code
> (primarily
> in regions outside the US) that is currently built with the Microsoft
> compiler and encoded according to the Windows Active Code Page for
> that
> region, and source code encoded in Shift-JIS or GB18030.
> >
> > (My guess: a fair bit of older code will break, but almost all of it
> > will never be compiled as C++ 23)
>
> I think you'll need to find a way to measure the breakage if you
> want to
> pursue such a change.
>
> Personally, I don't think this is the right approach as adding more
> assumptions about encodings seems likely to lead to even more
> problems.
> My preference is to focus on explicit solutions like adding an
> encoding
> pragma similarly to what is done in Python and HTML and is existing
> practice for IBM's xlC compiler
> (https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.cbclx01/zos_pragma_filetag.htm).
>

> Except all cross platform (windows, Linux, Mac) code ever written -
> which includes all of GitHub, etc, would use ASCII or utf8 already.
> Most internal code would avoid non basic character set characters
> already. Because they know it's not portable
I lack confidence that this is true, so citation needed please. I know
that Shift-JIS (for example) is still in use and we hear that from
Microsoft representatives. Regardless, I think it is a mistake to
assume that cross-platform code is more important than code that is
written for specific platforms.

> So while I find the idea of pragma interesting, I question whether it
> is the right default. I do not want to have to do that to 100% of the
> I have or will ever write.

It would certainly be the wrong default if we were doing a clean room
design. But we are evolving a language that has been around for several
decades and that inherits from a language that was around for
considerably longer.

> It doesn't mean a pragma is not helpful for people working on an old
> code base so they can transition away from codepage encoding if they
> are ie, a windows shop only. I think it would very much be.
>
> I think it would also be useful to encourage utf8 by default even if
> that would have no impact whatsoever on existing toolchains.
I agree. I strongly think the right approach is:

 1. Keep source file encoding implementation defined.
 2. Introduce the pragma option to explicitly specify per-source-file
    encoding.
 3. Encourage implementors to provide options to default the assumed
    source file encoding to UTF-8 (in practice, most already provide this)
 4. Encourage projects to pass /source-file-encoding-is-utf-8 (however
    spelled) to their compiler invocations.

That approach approximates the "right" default fairly closely if (4) is
followed (which may be an existing trend).

> But at the same time it seems it would be beneficial to restrict the
> set of features that require Unicode to be limited to Unicode source
> files, including literals and identifiers outside of the basic
> character sets.
> The intent is that making a program ill-formed (ndr) encourages a
> warning which I really want to have when the compiler is not
> interpreting my utf-8 source as utf-8.
I strongly disagree with this. I think you are conflating two distinct
things (source file encoding and support for Unicode) as a proxy to get
a diagnostic that, in practice, would not be reliable.

> You could argue that people on windows
> can just compile with /source-charset: utf-8, which yes they can and
> should (it's standard practice in Qt, vcpkg, etc), but avoid
> potentially lossy encoding due to wrong presumption of how a text file
> was encoded would help people write portable code with the assurance
> that the compiler would not miss interpret their intent silently.
>
> I agree with you that reinterpreting all existing code overnight as
> utf-8 would hinder the adoption of future c++ version enough that we
> should probably avoid to do that, but maybe a slight encouragement to
> use utf8 would be beneficial to everyone.
>
> I agree with Niall, people in NA/Europe underestimate the extent of
> the issue with source encoding.

I agree with this. But I think there is a reverse underestimation as
well - that being the extent to which people outside English speaking
regions use non-UTF-8 encodings. IBM/Windows code pages and the ISO-8859
series of character sets have a long history. I think there is good
reason to believe they are still in use, particularly in older code bases.

Tom.