Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-08-14 02:54:28

Tom Honermann wrote:

> I think we *might* be successful in using "execution encoding" to apply
> to both the compile-time and run-time encodings by extending the term with
> specific qualifiers; e.g., "presumed execution encoding" and
> "run-time/system/native execution encoding".

This would be implying that there's a single "execution" or "native"
encoding, whereas there are many.

- encoding used for character literals
- what the locale has been set to (at compile time, at run time)
- what file names use, per filesystem, there can be more than one (*)
- what file contents use
- what the console/the terminal uses

(*) Here "none" (arbitrary NTBS not interpreted as characters by the FS) is
an option