Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 16:10:29 -0400
Getting back to the original question. I think execution character set and
execution encoding would refer to the encoding specified by the default
locale, the "C" locale. We do not change the execution encoding via calls
to setlocale(), we change the global default locale to a new locale.

Any name is going to be confusing. I think it's better to just get an
explicit definition to go together with the term. Something like that the
execution encoding is the same as the default character set associated with
the default "C" locale, and that it is IF NDR if the actual default
character set is different than the presumed translation from source
encoding to execution encoding, or if translation units with different
execution encodings are linked together. IF NDR because I don't see how it
could always be detected but it can quickly turn into ODR violations where
the same named object has different definitions.