Re: [SG16-Unicode] SG16 approval for LEWG to review std::filesystem::path_view

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 01:18:24 +0300
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 at 01:06, Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > C++ 23. Almost all future C++ will run on of the big four OS kernels,
> > using one of the three major C++ compilers, on one of the two major CPU
> > architectures. As a former embedded systems developer, I'm more than
> This characteristic is not accurate in my experience. At Coverity, we
> see plenty of use of C++ in embedded systems, including modern dialects
> and I believe such usage is increasing. While I can't share details, we
> are currently adding support for a complicated C++ language extension
> for an embedded compiler (not related to Clang, gcc, Microsoft, or
> Intel) with support for many architectures due to customer demand.
> Ecosystems change. I think few would have predicted back around 2000
> that Windows would have less than 12% market share on shipped devices in
> 2015, yet that is what has happened. And people have predicted the
> death of the mainframe for my entire career. The market doesn't seem to
> care about predictions or what is in vogue today.

Concurred. Depending on the time of the year and some chance
opportunities, whether the "big four"
are the majority changes from "yes" to "no" and back in the Qt
deployments I see. They are C++11/C++14,
and will be going to C++17/C++20/C++23 and beyond without any doubt.

..but, to be fair, for quite many of such non-"big four" systems and
deployments, what the interface of a path_view is is utterly
irrelevant (no files). :)