Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] Draft revision of P1238 (SG16: Unicode Direction) with a new section on file names
From: Lyberta (lyberta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-06-12 05:19:00

> Any feedback is appreciated.  This revision is targeting the Cologne
> pre-meeting submission deadline of next Monday, so please provide any
> feedback in time for changes to be incorporated by then.

We should discuss if we want support for code point containers and
ill-formed Unicode. Well-formed Unicode only contains scalar values so
std::text having .as_code_points() member function implies that it may
store ill-formed Unicode. I don't like that.

I have recently dropped support for code point sequences in my library
and only allow scalar values. This means no WTF-8, ill-formed UTF-16 or
UTF-32.

I think we must require std::text to be well-formed by default and we
should have an explicit policy about when we say "scalar value" or "code
point".