Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] It???s Time to Stop Adding New Features for Non-Unicode Execution Encodings in C++
From: Tom Honermann (tom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-30 09:32:29

On 4/27/19 11:41 AM, keld_at_[hidden] wrote:

>>> what is missing? i know: quite a lot, but please examplify
>>>
>> A full set of std::vector operations on sequences of scalar values.
> will normal widechar functionlity suffice?

No.  On several platforms (at least windows, 32-bit AIX, and 32-bit
z/OS) wchar_t is only 16 bits.  We therefore cannot rely on wchar_t
being sufficiently large for use as a scalar value.  This, plus the fact
that the character encoding used for wide literals varies across
platforms makes wide character functionality non-portable.  I consider
the existing POSIX wide character support a dead end.

Tom.