Re: [SG16-Unicode] It???s Time to Stop Adding New Features for Non-Unicode Execution Encodings in C++

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:32:38 -0700
On Monday, 29 April 2019 10:53:26 PDT keld_at_[hidden] wrote:
> > Operating systems that are encoding independent are mostly a myth at this
> > point. Probably always were. Linux is mostly utf-8, Osx is Unicode,
> > windows
> > is slowly getting there etc.
>
> linux still is,

Still a myth that it's encoding-independent. Just insert a VFAT- or NTFS-
formatted USB stick and you'll have your kernel assuming your userspace is
UTF-8. You can change it, by supplying mount options when mounting said
filesystem, but most users don't and don't even know such options exist.

I don't even know how to configure udisks so it would do that by default if my
userspace weren't UTF-8.