Re: [SG16-Unicode] It’s Time to Stop Adding New Features for Non-Unicode Execution Encodings in C++

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 08:13:15 -0400
On 4/27/19 6:28 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I'm happy to see that so far there has not been opposition to the core
> point on my write-up: Not adding new features for non-UTF execution
> encodings. With that, let's talk about the details.

I see no need to take a strong stance against adding such new features.
If there is consensus that a feature is useful (at least to some subset
of users), implementors are not opposed, and the feature won't
complicate further language evolution, then I see no reason to be
opposed to it. There are, and will be for a long time to come, programs
that do not require Unicode and that need to operate in non-Unicode
environments. We don't need to make them a priority, but we don't need
to stand in their way either.

Tom.