Re: [SG16-Unicode] D1628R0 (Unicode character properties)

From: R. Martinho Fernandes <rmf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:00:11 +0100
>\N is a separate paper - namely https://wg21.link/p1097r2
>I think there is some valid uses cases for name ( for example if you
>are
>doing an editor, ide, etc or any kind of input checking), it might be
>more
>user friendly to say "unexpected space at line 1" rather than
>"unexpected
>\U00020"

IMO, p1097 is literally the only reasonable use case for Name. Name is intended as an unique identifier and both its values and the policies used to maintain them reflect this. I'm not just talking about typos, but there are pairs of characters whose Name has been swapped, and there are characters whose Name is a made up one that doesn't exist outside the Name property. Name_Alias tries to mitigate this, but there's little you can do to fix it when the character's Name is already mistakenly used for another one. There are also large swathes of characters whose name is just UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH XXXX where XXXX is its code point in hexadecimal. This isn't very helpful to display.
IMO displaying Name values is only meaningful in contexts where the question is "what is the Unicode Name of this?" as opposed to "what is this character"?