Re: [SG16-Unicode] Fundamental Unicode types

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 10:21:01 +0100
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019, 9:56 AM Lyberta <lyberta_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Since D1628R0 (Unicode character properties) conflicts with my proposal,
> I decided to finish a draft and publish it:
>
> https://github.com/Lyberta/cpp-unicode-fundamental
>
> It proposes 5 strong types which are intended as the basis for the rest
> of the Unicode library:
>
> std::unicode::utf8_code_unit
> std::unicode::utf16_code_unit
> std::unicode::utf32_code_unit
> std::unicode::code_point
> std::unicode::scalar_value

charX_t have a requirement to be code units in C++20.

We also really do not want to have code units API. Because you can not do
anything useful with it.
Especially iterating over code units or querying the properties of code
units is something that is probably not useful ever (and has a propency to
be missed used)

Scalar value and grapheme views are useful indeed Imo. Text is useful but
it's basically something that can spawn a scalar or grapheme view with some
storage, high level invariants and state.

Lastly, I am very concerned about a design that would throw by default.
Especially something like domain_error. It basically means I wouldn't use
any standard Unicode facilities and nor would people in a lot of Industries
(games, embedded etc).