Re: [SG16-Unicode] D1628R0 (Unicode character properties)

From: Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:39:55 -0700
Hi Tom & SG16,

First, sorry for having dropped off -- I have been swamped with other work
and won't make it to today's meeting either.

Second, I would like to ask you to consider if it's necessary to add
Unicode properties APIs in the language runtime.
There are widely used libraries like ICU which provide this and more.

Many users will want to be able to use the latest version of Unicode, which
will tend to be newer than what their compiler provides.
There are also enough changes in Unicode properties that data structures or
parsers etc. sometimes need to be adjusted, so you have a maintenance
burden.
(I have been doing this for some 19 years.)

And finally, I personally think that the ROI for the name property is low.
As noted in the document, the data is large, but also a long \N{dozens of
letters} string is not very readable. I find it's just as easy to use
\uhhhh escapes with a simple code comment for which character that is, and
if it's obvious (like a regular printable letter) you use the character
itself anyway.

Best regards,
markus