Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] std::byte based I/O library
From: Lyberta (lyberta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-07 13:59:00

> There should be no "text IO". Binding attributes on stream objects to
> "handle text" is the mistake IO streams made; it absolutely muddled the
> concerns of IO streams and turned them into stateful messes on the same
> level of floating point and having to save / restore FP registers after
> each call or specific use in order to not break everything downstream /
> used after you made a few calls with specific "sticky" flags.

So do you want to pass the state explicitly such as

std::io::read(stream, state, variable);

My idea is a bit of compromise that I put everything in a single object
and provide a simple accessor function to change it such as

auto my_state = stream.state();
// ...
// Change state
// ...
stream.state() = my_state;

That way we still have the convenient syntax of

std::io::read(stream, variable);

> If you want IO in your text library, make it a single, atomic call
> where all the information required to serialize the text properly is done
> in a single function.

I'm totally fine with this design but I wonder if anyone actually has a
use case where they can't just parse all the text into string at once.
But I'm fine with skipping this use case for now.

SG16 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com