Re: [SG16-Unicode] code_unit_sequence and code_point_sequence

From: R. Martinho Fernandes <rmf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 22:03:45 +0200
I don't think this code_unit_sequence is useful. The focus on endianness is misguided, IMO.

There's no reason to convert encoding schemes to encoding forms (transcoding notwithstanding). The encoding forms from the Unicode standard that we need to support are UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, UTF-32, UTF-32LE, UTF-32BE (and possibly forms with BOMs but that needs a different design because it's effectively a stateful encoding, so let's leave it out for now).

There's no byte level. The lowest level that is useful is code units. It just happens that some encodings (e.g. UTF-8, UTF-16LE) have bytes as code units. Everything is code units.

This code_unit_sequence *might* be useful as an implementation detail, but not so much as a user interface. All it does is abstract away endianness when that is already abstract by the encoding schemes themselves, like UTF-16LE.