Yes, it might very well be lost on people. Would you mind walking that slowly for those of us not getting it?

-- Gaby

From: Ext <ext-bounces@lists.isocpp.org> on behalf of René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Ext <ext@lists.isocpp.org>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 6:31:05 AM
To: ISO C++ Tooling Study Group <sg15@lists.isocpp.org>
Cc: René Ferdinand Rivera Morell <grafikrobot@gmail.com>; Peter Dimov <pdimov@gmail.com>; Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com>; Tom Honermann <tom@honermann.net>; René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Ext <ext@lists.isocpp.org>; Nathan Sidwell <nathan@acm.org>
Subject: Re: [isocpp-ext] [SG15] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 8:15 AM Daniel Ruoso via SG15 <sg15@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
Em seg., 25 de abr. de 2022 às 09:06, Peter Dimov <pdimov@gmail.com> escreveu:
> All that's also true without modules, but we still make it possible for
>   c++ hello.cc
> to produce a working hello world executable

FWIW, I'd be on board with a proposal for a "trivial build system"
interface to be supported in various toolchains with the same command
line and options. Maybe we can even convince our toolchain vendors to
include such a tool. I think focusing on the compiler executable
specifically as the one having to implement that is a mistake.

Is it lost on people that what we currently call the compiler is already such a trivial build system? And that it's been that way for some decades.

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything  -- No Supone Nada