On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 10:00 AM Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel@kitware.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 08:49:18 -0500, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Ext wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 8:22 AM Daniel Ruoso via SG15 <sg15@lists.isocpp.org>
> wrote:
> > Why do we need to coerce compilers into playing this role?
>
> Because build systems are not part of the ISO standards from WG21. While we
> can't describe a build ecosystem in an ISO standard, C++ will need to be
> usable without the existence of anything except the "compiler".

Well, if we're getting technical, ISO C++ doesn't have compilers either
(at least "compile" is nowhere in `[intro.defs]`). There *are*
implementations. How they exist or work is not something I've seen in
the C++ standard.

And even given what I think you're referring to as a "compiler", I have
no idea what to do with such a thing without a standard library, linker,
or backing platform implementation (because no C++ stdlib I'm aware of
implements `std::filesystem` without an underlying platform).

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 11:08 AM Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@microsoft.com> wrote:

Compilers aren’t part of the ISO standards from WG21, either!

Indeed. Which is why I wrote the word compiler in quotes.

Although the various mentions of compilers in non-normative notes might give the wrong impression.

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything  -- No Supone Nada