> The manifest file could be generated (based on information in source code) and

> usable by multiple tools, IDEs, and build systems.  It need not be a statically

> maintained file.  I like this approach because it appropriately separates the

> steps of identifying/building the module name/file map vs using the module

> name/file map (most tools don't want to be build systems).

This sounds like a clang compilation database.  Such a thing is useful for non-build tools, and can be generated automatically, as you said.  I am concerned that generating such a file early in the build process would cause performance problems.  Each source file would need to be partially parsed before the build DAG could be fully formed.  However, I don’t have benchmarks indicating how expensive an extra pass over all the source files is.