I tried this with my favorite static analyzer (FlexeLint) and it issued a Warning.

Jim Gimpel

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:15 AM, John Zwinck <jzwinck@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun Sep 21 14:27:43 CEST 2014, Jens Maurer wrote:
> On 09/18/2014 09:42 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> > FYI, this is core issue 504:
> >
> > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_active.html#504
>
> ... which doesn't necessarily mean it will be automatically addressed by CWG
> in the near future.
>
> Feel free to write a short paper suggesting specific wording changes to address
> this issue.  (Or, if just 1-2 sentence, send your wording changes to Mike Miller
> if you won't attend WG21 meetings in person.)

Understood.  I will write some proposed wording here in the hope that
someone might give feedback.  In [dcl.init.ref] I would add a clause:

---
The initializer shall not mention the reference being initialized.
Any use of a reference which has not yet been initialized is
ill-formed.
---

I currently  have no plans to attend WG21 meetings, but appreciate
your time here.

John Zwinck