Re: [SG10] Feature-testing for a TS

From: Nevin Liber <nevin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:18:26 -0500
On 24 March 2015 at 18:30, Nelson, Clark <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Should TSes use the macro spelling pattern
> >
> > __cpp_experimental_whatever
> >
> > or
> >
> > __cpp_whatever
> >
> > assuming that the value of the macro will change anyway when
> > a feature
> > moves from TS land to the standard proper?
>
> The question is, when a feature from a TS is incorporated into the
> standard,
> will it be changed enough to effectively make it a different feature from
> what was in the TS?

For libraries, I'd say yes. At a minimum, it will be in a different
namespace (std vs std::experimental), so it is effectively a different
type, even if we don't touch the interface at all (unless inline namespaces
solve the problem for unchanging interfaces; I don't know them well enough).

Is your principal concern about the TM TS? Is there an expectation that a
> feature-test macro will be added to it before it is finalized?

My concern is the Lib Fundamentals TS.

> It would be more consistent with what SG10 recommends for library TS
> features
> to be indicated by a macro named __cpp_lib_experimental_whatever.

That addresses my concern.

> For library features, LWG wants to retain the option of changing the
> interface when a feature is incorporated into the standard. To do that,
> they
> are taking the radical position of forcing the feature as defined in the TS
> to be different from will eventually be incorporated into the standard, by
> putting it into a different namespace.
>
> I understand why they're doing that, but the philosophy is 180 degrees
> different from that of SG10. We're trying to make transitions as smooth as
> possible; they are intentionally building a speed bump at the transition.
> That's not to say that what they are doing is wrong, but it does mean that
> there is inherently tension and conflict of purpose between SG10 and LWG.
>
> All I can say about "experimental" language features is that it sure would
> be nice if we could get them right in the TS, so that, when (or if) they
> are
> incorporated into the standard, they don't have to be changed enough to be
> considered a different feature.

All good observations.
--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404