[SG10] Should there be feature-testing for library features?

From: Nelson, Clark <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 00:38:06 +0000
Here I'm way out of my depth; I'm a C++ language implementer, not a user. Maybe SFINAE makes many kinds of library feature testing unnecessary.

But at the very least, I know that there's no way to use SFINAE to see whether an implementation has a specific library header. Would there be value in enabling people to write code that will adapt at that level to implementations that have made different degrees of progress toward implementing standard library features?

Or would it make more sense just to limit our scope to language features?

--
Clark Nelson            Vice chair, PL22.16 (ANSI C++ standard committee)
Intel Corporation       Chair, SG10 (WG21 study group for feature-testing)