C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [isocpp-wg14/wg21-liaison] midpoint and lerp

From: Jens Gustedt <jens.gustedt_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 20:30:04 +0200
Hi,

Am 6. Juni 2024 19:33:30 MESZ schrieb Joseph Myers via Liaison <liaison_at_[hidden]>:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2024, Niall Douglas via Liaison wrote:
>
> > Would WG14 be open to including into the C standard library WG21
> > `std::midpoint()` and `std::lerp()` as defined by
> > https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p0811r3.html?
>
> The operations are plausible, but we'd need an actual C proposal.
> Presumably, for example, midpoint would actually have separate midpoint,
> midpointf, midpointl functions for double, float, long double, plus
> _Decimal32 / _Decimal64 / _Decimal128 functions, plus Annex H functions
> for _FloatN / _FloatNx / _DecimalN / _DecimalNx, plus a specification of
> the preferred quantum exponent for decimal types, plus Annex F

I am not sure that we have to reproduce the nightmare that we have now. In C23 we introduced interfaces with a similar generality just as tg-macros, and that works perfectly fine.

And then I am chocked that, even if you suppose that we need linker interfaces for all the cases, that there would be nothing better to do than to violate the user space naming guarantees yet again. Aaron did all his work on reserved names for nothing, just that we throw these rules over board at the first occasion ?

Jens

--
Jens Gustedt - INRIA & ICube, Strasbourg, France