C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [isocpp-wg14/wg21-liaison] P3140 std::int_least128_t

From: Joseph Myers <josmyers_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 17:11:47 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 23 May 2024, Nina Dinka Ranns via Liaison wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> EWG incubator has deemed P3140R0 <https://wg21.link/p3140r0>
> std::int_least128_t
> ready to be seen by evolution group of WG21.
>
> Do we have any compatibility concerns or feedback for when EWG discusses
> this paper ?

Are the proposers planning to work with whatever psABI working groups
exist for 32-bit architectures to ensure appropriate ABIs for 128-bit
integers are defined, given the lack of implementation experience there?

(Note: the absence of such ABI work after _BitInt was added to C - I
needed to file the relevant issues myself against the Arm, RISC-V and
32-bit x86 ABIs, and progress on actually defining the ABIs after the
issues were filed was very slow - generally makes me more sceptical of
proposals requiring ABI additions, in the absence of a clear commitment
from the proposers to work on ABI additions, not just of the form "nothing
matters beyond x86-64".)

--
Joseph S. Myers
josmyers_at_[hidden]