C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [isocpp-wg14/wg21-liaison] P3248R0 Require [u]intptr_t

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 13:58:26 +0200
On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 1:47 PM Aaron Ballman via Liaison <
liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 7:24 AM Robert Seacord via Liaison
> <liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I cannot think of any reasons why this paper would cause any C/C++
> compatibility issues.
>
> Aside from it meaning these C interfaces are mandatory in C++ but
> optional in C. ;-)

Which is not a compatibility concern afaict (though the reverse would be)

> This topic came up in WG14 as part of
> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2889.htm and that
> paper was rejected because of concerns from several implementers. One
> of the concerns I recall was around implementations supporting very
> wide pointer types, such as capability-based memory architectures.

I think WG21 can decide independently whether it want to restrict the
compatible set of hardware more than C does

(As an aside, while I understand there are platforms where uintptr would
need to be bigger than sizeof(void*)... that's allowed!
It's what CHERI seem to be doing
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-947.pdf )