C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] Rebasing C++ to C23

From: Joseph Myers <josmyers_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:49:24 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Jonathan Wakely via Liaison wrote:

> - New library headers <stdbit.h> and <stdckdint.h>.
> The former would come along with _BitInt if we add that to the core
> language, and should be explicitly noted as absent otherwise.

<stdbit.h> has nothing to do with _BitInt; indeed, _BitInt isn't supported
by the type-generic macros there in C23 except when the width matches a
standard or extended integer type.

Presumably you won't want type-generic macros from <stdbit.h> in C++ (but
might want a more C++-like type-generic interface).

Not specifically mentioned in your list of features:

* binary integers support in strtol functions (base 0 and 2 allowing 0b/0B
prefix) as well as in printf/scanf.

* strftime %OB, %Ob (alternative month name).

* timegm.

* free_sized, free_aligned_sized.

* memalignment.

* (Qualifier-preserving macros for standard library functions correspond
to something C++ has had for a long time.)

* New <math.h> minimum/maximum functions from IEEE 754-2019.

* New <math.h> (and <fenv.h> and elsewhere) functions and macros from TS
18661-1.

* New library functions and macros (<math.h> and elsewhere) from TS
18661-3 (mostly _FloatN etc. versions of those present for other types,
but a few others as well).

* New <math.h> functions and macros from TS 18661-4 (note that the
reduction functions weren't integrated in C23).

--
Joseph S. Myers
josmyers_at_[hidden]